Saturday, May 14, 2016

Who am I? Where do I belong? Do I belong? Longing for Family


Add caption

Who am I? So many things go through my thought with that simple question. I wonder, who am I honestly?



When I lost both of my parents, I lost touch with any extended family. Lynn's family was never really there for us. He was the only child of his parent's marriage while they each had multiple children. His
siblings from them were never really his brothers and sisters. To them, he was merely in the way of getting money, money they felt was theirs. But whatever, money is just nothing in the scheme of things.


                                                          


For me, I never really felt like I belonged to my mom's family because she wasn't full blood to all of her brothers and sisters either. She had one full blood brother, and I felt a connection to them, but not a real lasting strong one. The others always made me feel like I wasn't part of them.

Did they do it intentionally, I can't say. Because I honestly don't feel like I am a part of 'their' family. Only Mama's family knew. But the feelings were there for me and with Mama went none of them seemed to notice I wasn't there anymore.

So now I stood looking at the world wondering who both Mama and Daddy's blood family was, and I wanted to know. My journey to know as much as possible began.

It was not easy. I had not much to go on. A few names but they didn't lead me to much knowledge. Then I remembered trips as a child and where we would spend the night. Still, all I had was names, but with the power of the internet, I searched.

When I found Uncle Alvie, it led me to his widow where I truly began to feel like I had a family.Soon I found out I had a cousin who starred on Punky Brewster. It was a real treat to learn about my blood family. Sadly before I could hear very much, my widowed Aunt Lydia passed away.

Life has its little ups and downs, its twists and turns. I feel more connected to this planet after my journey began. Let's see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Shame Here

  Bipolar disorder. There was a time I was ashamed of those words, a time when I hid the fact, and a time I listened to those who said ...