Monday, April 25, 2016

Opinion: The Confederate Battle Flag and Thoughts of My Own





IIt's hilarious how so many things will show us the true colors of another person. Post a picture of a baby on your FaceBook page, and you will see the moms come bursting forth with all the awes they feel. Post a picture of a Harley, and the bikers (both the ones who ride and those who ride in their souls) will shout Hell Yeah!

No matter what you say or show to the world, there will be someone who disagrees strongly with your opinions. That fact is a very ironic point in itself. Because after all, this is YOUR opinion belonging to nobody else. So why does the world get so pissed when someone else has a different thought on any subject?

Isn't this the United States of America and don't we have Freedom of Speech? Isn't that the entire point of the First Amendment?




Sadly, our country hasn't truly had real freedom of speech for a very long time. We have been a country where being 'politically correct' is more important than free speech.
Now I am not saying I wish people were running around hurting others with their words; I merely wish we had the REAL right to disagree or feel differently.

We all want to teach our children to be good people and to have an opinion about things, or at least most of us do.When we teach them this how are we to show them what it is like to have an opinion if we live in a world where no one does?

For me, I relish in the fact that I have my opinions and cherish that my kids share in that. We argue, and we discuss the differences when there are some, and then we move on.

I do have those in my family, and people who I felt were 'friends' at one point in my life, which differ in opinion so strongly that they 'disowned' me. That is their words, not mine; I try not to judge anyone else for their beliefs or their thoughts. Too bad the rest of the world doesn't feel that way.

As we all look at today's headlines, with stories about transgender bathrooms and all the talk about what Caitlin Jenner is doing, it makes me shake my head. My thoughts are this; Why is this such HUGE news? Don't we have starving people around us? Don't we have people going without health care? Don't we have homeless?

So why are the stories about famous people like Jenner making all the most important spots of the news? Have you just sat and watched the local news indeed paying attention? If you have then, you will see the nonsense that gathers far more airtime than the stories that matter.

What has happened to this country, to this world?

I am so unsure of it all that it makes me sad. The only time it seems you can get people to stand up and be upset is when you are doing things that aren't any of their business.

Take the things hanging in my front yard. Flags.
Now I am proud of these beautiful symbols of my history, and I proudly show the world. But, since the Rebel Flag, or more correctly The Confederate Battle Flag, has hung for the world to see, people stopped dropping by to talk, and some look the other way when they drive by.
Does that bother me? No, what bothers me is the ignorance associated with the Confederate flag. A friend of my families who lives in a little town near us was asked to remove his Rebel flag by the law enforcement.
They informed him they did not like nor approve of it and since he is on probation, the man removed the flag.
I see that as an affront and a complete difference of opinion.
The same country that allows (because I have personally seen them) Nazi swastika flags, Black Panther Flags, and other flags of groups that aren't your regular neighborhood groups, those flags are allowed to fly, and no one says anything.
Why? Why have we gotten so consumed with removing anyone else's opinion so strongly that making a person remove a flag that is symbolic of their heritage is the one time the world has an opinion?




The sorry world my flag will continue to fly, and my opinions will continue to be strong. So Who Am  I? Well, I am an opinionated, proud descendant of a Confederate soldier, a redheaded descendant of an Irish immigrant, a tall descendant of a Norse immigrant, and a dark skinned descendant of a Cherokee, Sioux, and Choctaw past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Shame Here

  Bipolar disorder. There was a time I was ashamed of those words, a time when I hid the fact, and a time I listened to those who said ...